Environment and Health: Doctoral Level

Admission Requirements

  • Students who wish to enrol in the EH Collaborative Specialization offered by the School of the Environment must first apply to and be accepted into a doctoral program in a degree-granting unit, also called a home department or home unit. Information about applying to a home unit can be found on the School of Graduate Studies website and on the respective degree-granting unit's website.

  • Prospective students who are planning to enrol in the EH Collaborative Specialization are strongly encouraged to submit copies of the documents indicated on the School of the Environment website by the application deadline established by the degree program admission committee in the respective home department. Applicants should contact the home unit to which they intend to apply in order to confirm its application deadline. The School of the Environment also allows potential students to enrol in its EH Collaborative Specialization beyond the deadline set by their home unit, provided that students will be able to complete the EH Collaborative Specialization requirements by the time they are ready to graduate from their degree program.

Specialization Requirements

  • The requirements listed below must be completed in combination with the PhD degree program requirements of the student’s respective home department. These are normally counted as electives toward the degree program requirements of the student’s home unit. Typically, students complete up to 1.0 full-course equivalent (FCE) and conduct research on an environment and health topic. Please note that requirements in some participating programs vary slightly. Therefore, students are encouraged to check the calendar entries of their respective home department programs. Specific Collaborative Specialization requirements for each participating degree program are listed on the School of the Environment website under the Environment and Health Collaborative Specialization.

  • Complete the mandatory core course ENV 4001H (0.5 FCE), unless already completed at the master's level.

  • Complete one elective course (0.5 FCE) from the School's list of approved courses.

  • Present a seminar either in the Environment and Health Seminar Series or at the School of the Environment's Research Day.

  • Complete a thesis on a theme in environment and health. It is recommended that the thesis committee membership will include a supervisor (from the student's home unit who is a member of the core faculty of the Collaborative Specialization and a member of the graduate faculty in the School of the Environment) and at least one other member from a collaborating unit. A copy of the final thesis must be submitted to the School of the Environment prior to graduation.

  • Additional courses may be required by the home unit and/or by the supervisor or supervisory committee, depending on academic and/or career goals of the student, as well as departmental regulations.

  • A supervisor or supervisory committee may be appointed for each student by the home department and the School of the Environment.

Note: For a complete and most up-to-date list of EH Collaborative Specialization requirements by each participating degree program for doctoral students, please visit the School of the Environment website and click on the home graduate unit or degree program.