Addiction Studies: Master's Level

Admission Requirements

  • Applicants must apply to and be admitted to both the collaborative specialization and a graduate degree program in one of the collaborating graduate units. They must contact the collaborating professor within their graduate unit directly.

Specialization Requirements

  • Students must meet all requirements of their home graduate unit in terms of coursework and thesis work, or equivalent.

  • Master's students in the collaborative specialization are required to take PAS3700H Multidisciplinary Aspects of Addictions, plus 0.5 full-course equivalent (FCE) selected from the list of approved elective courses presented below or an approved directed reading course.

  • The student's thesis must deal with a subject in the field of addictions. The thesis is supervised and evaluated in the same manner as others in the home graduate unit, but normally involves, as appropriate, supervisory and examining professors from other disciplines represented in the collaborative specialization. In collaborating graduate units that do not require a thesis, a practicum or major research paper will be accepted instead of a thesis, as long as the topic or focus is directly related to addictions. In collaborating graduate unit that do not have a thesis or equivalent requirement, students must take a third 0.5 FCE from the list of approved electives.